While we’d never ask you to do something you’re not comfortable with, like posting pictures of your grandbaby throwing peas, or you riding a hover board for the first time; there’s a place for your unique content, as well as curated content, on socials sites, including Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Slideshare, and maybe even Snapchat, depending on your target audience.
By the way, the definition of “quality content” is content that gets liked, clicked, or shared.
Dos and Don’ts to your success.
- Don’t feel like you have to use every social media site, or even most of them.
- Do recognize that social media is like a stop at the water cooler, or walking with a friend or colleague and sharing a a laugh on the way to the sandwich shop around the corner.
- Don’t always be selling your stuff on social media — the keyword is social. Shoot for about 10 – 20% of salesy content, and the other 80% pure information, news, and interesting, relevant, funny, inspiring, or helpful content.
- Do respond to comments and do follow others. There’s nothing more distasteful to potential fans and followers than a company or brand using social media as a broadcasting platform. Broadcasting is dead.
- Don’t be someone you’re not.
- Do let your hair down so people can see the real you (or the real culture of your business).
A great strategy includes planning your monthly message and scheduling posts in advance.
Social media posts can be scheduled in advance using SaaS like Hootesuite or (my favorite) Buffer, making it easier to stick to your overall marketing strategy. You can also incorporate a mix of your own content and curated posts linking to other’s relevant content online, which takes some of the burden of content creation off you and your business, and allows you to add your own short, expert, editorial introduction.
Finally, your social sharing must include some visual content, including original images or videos branded with your logo and name. The main thing to remember is that social media for your business must be just as social and personal as you are in real life. You have to show up every day with warmth, charisma, and passion for your business and those you serve; and you’ll be rewarded over time.
Sound like a lot? Social media marketing for the busy freelancer, solo-preneur, or new Baby Boomer entrepreneur can be overwhelming and time consuming. Instead of shooting in the dark posting tons of content everywhere, a judicious, planned approach allows you to reach your target audience where they’re already socially gathering. Smart, enjoyable networking is a skill that can be learned… and you can get some help from marketing specialists who live and breathe social networking for business every day.
We’re happy to discuss a regular posting strategy — what, where, to whom, when, why and how to post your unique mix of content. Check out some articles on this site, or contact us using the form below. We love talking social media!